Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Reading Challenge Update for May

Reading Challenge Update

I am taking part in four reading challenges this year and am updating my progress monthly.  So here is how I am doing.


1.  Where Are You Reading?
I read and reviewed 6 books this month.  So far I have traveled to four continents, fifteen states and twelve countries.  I can't wait to see where my reading adventures take me next.

Check out my map on Google Maps.
View Where are you reading challenge 2012 in a larger map

Here are my books, review links and locations for May:

1. This Burns My Heart by Samuel Park.  Takes place in post war South Korea.  An excellent story that contemplates the questions of life.


2.  Impulse by Ellen Hopkins.  Takes place in Las Vegas, Nevada.  Hopkins writes fast paced novels in verse for young adults. 


3. To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee.  Takes place in a fictional town in Alabama in the 1930's.


4.  Last Night I Dreamed of Peace by Dang Thuy Tram.  Takes place in Vietnam.  It is a diary of a doctor on the side of the Viet Cong.

5.  The Forgotten Garden by Kate Morton.  Takes place in Australia and England.  I chose England because I felt most of the story took place there.

6. Delicate Armor by Connie Claire Szarke.  Takes place in Minnesota.  Since I have already read from Minnesota, this book is not included on my map.


The Pulitzer Prize Challenge.  So far I have read 3 books and my goal is to read 12.  I am currently one book behind.

January- Tinkers by Paul Harding
February- March by Geraldine Brooks
March- A Visit from the Goon Squad by Jennifer Egan
April-To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee

Currently I am a month behind.  I hope to play catch up this summer.



What's in a Name 5 Challenge
I have 2 books out of the 6 required.  Each book must have something in the title which corresponds to the category.  

1.  Something you'd carry in your pocket, purse, or backpack-  Sarah's Key by Tatiana de Rosnay

2.  Something you'd see in the sky- Moon Over Manifest by Clare Vanderpool.   I clearly need to start reading with this theme in mind.


World War 1 Challenge-  I am trying to read at 3 books that take place during World War 1.  So far I have read 1 book.  1 down, 2 to go.

1.  Moon Over Manifest by Clare Vanderpool


There you have it.  I love being a nerd and a book snob!  I hope you challenge yourself this year and read widely.